I work in a building with four elevators. This isn't so abnormal. Most buildings with one or more floors have elevators these days. From the time I started working in this building, I heard whispers and rumors that the building managers were going to be updating the elevators in the not-so-distant future. This interested me because most likely that meant the elevators weren't quite operating up to par. I work on the 11th floor, so the elevators are basically a necessity. I have to tell you that I count it as a blessing every time I make it to my floor or back down again. The elevators are not well. The doors continue to close no matter how hard you try to keep them open for the nice lady who rushed in at the last minute. It's not unthinkable that a person could be stuck in between the doors while the elevator begins going up or down. One elevator has such abrupt stops and starts that your ears pop and you loose your balance. My elevator today squeaked every time a new person stepped on and I promise I could feel it bounce slightly with each addition. Work hasn't started on the elevators. I realized today that I will continue to put my life on the line each work day...it's a sobering thought.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
elevators!
I work in a building with four elevators. This isn't so abnormal. Most buildings with one or more floors have elevators these days. From the time I started working in this building, I heard whispers and rumors that the building managers were going to be updating the elevators in the not-so-distant future. This interested me because most likely that meant the elevators weren't quite operating up to par. I work on the 11th floor, so the elevators are basically a necessity. I have to tell you that I count it as a blessing every time I make it to my floor or back down again. The elevators are not well. The doors continue to close no matter how hard you try to keep them open for the nice lady who rushed in at the last minute. It's not unthinkable that a person could be stuck in between the doors while the elevator begins going up or down. One elevator has such abrupt stops and starts that your ears pop and you loose your balance. My elevator today squeaked every time a new person stepped on and I promise I could feel it bounce slightly with each addition. Work hasn't started on the elevators. I realized today that I will continue to put my life on the line each work day...it's a sobering thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We share the same absurd fear! Granted, I only need to get to the 2nd floor at work but carrying around a huge child and their box of stuff makes the elevator look appealing. Our door has issues staying open too! And I never thought about getting stuck in the door while the elevator began to move... thank you. I will no longer throw myself in between the doors when I realize it's only me on the elevator and my child is running down the hall!!
How crazy that both of you girls work in elevator danger zones! Stay safe out there! lol.
Post a Comment