Saturday, August 7, 2010

Perfectionism

“If I waited for perfection, I would never write a word.” Margaret Atwood

I stumbled across this quote today and it touched something I've been mulling over lately. I have this itch to be creative. It's quite evident in the times I've started creative projects throughout my life - like the time I took a water color class and the numerous times I've thought of book ideas.

Here's the rub, I also have this intense need inside me to only do things if I know I can do them well. This perfectionism tends to force me away from any creative project I attempt. If you know me, you know that I quit the water color class (the half finished painting resides in a bag of painting supplies in our spare bedroom), and perhaps even more important, the book ideas float out there tempting me and terrifying me at the same time.

Just so you know, I only recently realized this about myself....So now I'm going to attempt to overrule my perfectionistic side so that I can give my creativity a fighting chance. I think it's going to be a real battle...

(Are there support groups for this type of thing?) :)

1 comment:

kristyn ellen said...

Stephanie.. I LOVE this. I did not even know you had a blog, I'm new to this whole world. Kind of.

I finally got over enough of my perfectionist problem to write my first entry. We'll see how brave I get in that department.

Hope you're doing well, I look forward to reading!