Wednesday, October 29, 2008

penelope

I'm worried that my plant, Penelope, might be sick.  You have to understand that the plants in my life are usually cursed.  I was given a plant when I first moved into the apartment downtown.  Some people from my dad's office gave me a start of a plant they loved.  I think it had a name starting with a J.  Anyway, not very long after I became a plant owner I discovered minute squirmers in the soil surrounding my plant!!  I attempted to change the soil hoping to get rid of the contamination but not much after there were little gnats flying EVERYWHERE.  That plant didn't survive.  Last year for Valentine's day, as I was suffering through influenza (I debated whether I should say "the influenza" like you say "the flu" but decided it wasn't right), I asked Ryan to get me an orchid.  He bought me a beautiful orchid, which is the plant I was talking about before...I named it Penelope because I really like that name and don't think Ryan will ever let me use it on a pet or child.  Getting to the point - I have kept this wonderful orchid plant alive for months and months!  It had the attack of the gnats last spring, but my dad helped me save it with some kind of poison.  It's survived and even thrived!  New leaves keep growing, which I think is a great sign.  Yesterday I saw bad signs...some of the top leaves are turning yellow.  I'm not sure what I should do.  Does this mean it needs more/less light?  More/less water?  Maybe I should just throw in the towel and realize plants aren't my thing....

No comments: